Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The Power of 'Story'

To me, the question of "what's your story?" is powerful. The image that it evokes in my mind is very caring and compassionate, because in order to ask that question you will undoubtedly have to be prepared to listen to a lengthy response. Thus taking up our precious time and interrupting our delicate schedules. Each persons story and journey is vastly different than one another. Each of us being shaped differently by our experiences with our family, friends, environment, etc.

So shortly after meeting someone new I pounce on the first opportunity (it has to be the right time and place) to be able to ask them the simple, short, profound question of "what's your story?"

It broke my heart again today to hear the responses of some new friends of mine. Barely teenagers and they have gone through more than I think I could handle. But after dropping them off and having a few hours to process what was beginning to happen, I had an epiphany. I'm not sure if that's the correct language, but I had a 'vision' or sorts. It's pretty cheesy but I still love it..

So I had this vision of each person having a written account of all of their days. Almost like a diary that everybody maintained with great diligence. A record of all the details of the day. And it was a 'real-time' diary too, not one of those write your entry before you go to bed diaries. So basically if you read previous days entries it would read like a story. So I had this vision that as soon as I met these guys and got to know them, I somehow made it into this 'diary' and entered into their story.

So at the instant that I came on the scene it would read something like, "I met a guy named Pat today..."

And then I started to think what would be said after that? Would I just settle for making an appearance in this 'diary' of sorts or would my encounter and friendship help to rewrite their story? And would there be any mention in this 'diary' about how I introduced them to another friend of mine named Jesus?

Real cheesy I know, but this thought, or 'vision', stirred my spirit today nonetheless.

No comments: