Sunday, September 14, 2008

Oldies but Goodies

I recently stumbled upon my old journal that kept from the summer of 2007. I spent it working with an urban ministry in East Garfield Park on the west side of Chicago. To say the least, my experience there continues to impact every facet of my life. My worldview has been drastically altered by my experiences there..

A big theme of my writings revolved around the decisions I make. Looking back on my journal a year removed, I realize that I am still struggling to answer the same questions I was asking myself a year ago.

I was taken aback by how segregated the city of Chicago was. You could literally cross certain streets and it would change from being predominantly african-american to predominantly latino or predominantly white. And the select neighborhoods that had more of a diverse mix didn't mean that it was a peaceful harmonious situation. It meant that gentrification had begun and it was only a matter of time before the poor were displaced. So you could imagine the angst this creates..

So the obvious question I then asked myself was 'why do I choose to live where I do?' It's a question I've never given much thought to, or explored in depth. However I can see how subconsciously I rule out certain areas and places.

I was challenged to look at scripture through a different lens and what resulted was life-changing. Mostly simple stuff, but profound nonetheless..

Something that became fascinating to me was studying Jesus' prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane. Jesus, in agony and distress, prays that we will be brought to complete unity and that we will be 'one'.
"I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me." John 17:22-23
The Gospel reconciles us to each other and that doesn't just include crossing denominational or theological lines. It requires us to cross racial, socioeconomic, and gender lines as well (see John 4). At no point would I have argued against that, but it had never become a reality to me.

I don't think I'm alone when I say this, but most of us have been riddled for years (20+ years for me) of having our culture and the media instilling assumptions, stereotypes, and fear about those racially different then us. Maybe that's why I feel such a strong calling to be involved in ministry that values racial reconciliation and views it as being necessary to bring about God's kingdom.

So one year later, lease running out, new job looming, I'm faced with more of the same questions. There are some quotes at the end of my journal that still resonate to me today. I don't know where these quotes were generated from, I'm assuming I read it one of the many books I read in that summer, or it came from a sermon or talk I heard I heard that summer, or maybe I'm just real intellectual..

"If we are not a part of the ethnic solution then we are inherently a part of the ethnic divide."

Which is then followed by this phrase in bold:


2 comments:

Sarah said...

Pat,

so crazy that as I stumble upon your blog the first one I see is one about where I live.

I love that you blog. I cant wait to read all the stuff you write and to interact with you here.

Also, I am intrigued by the statement you wrote that says racial reconciliation must be pursued to bring about the kingdom of God. I think the kingdom will come regardless of any racial reconciliation we as mere humans pursue or embark on. I believe that racism is a result of many sins and true endless and everlasting racial reconciliation will never be actualized until jesus returns. That does not mean that we should not pursue it, but sometimes I get the feeling that some people believe that racial reconciliation must take place so THAT we can bring the gospel to people. i dont believe that Jesus has to come so I can tell other cultures and ethnicities about Him. Paul certainly did not experience a complete racial reconciliation before he began to travel the country side. Some of the very apostles of Jesus struggled with racial issues with the Samarians.


What you think?

patD said...

I agree. There are obvious exceptions, but for the most part I think 'loving God' is widely understood, however the 'loving your neighbor' part is a big gray area. We are more like the expert in the law asking '..and who is my neighbor?'

As Christ followers being committed to reconciliation is our way of answering Jesus' prayer in the Garden.

Living that out looks differently between people as people have different gifts and callings, but we must be wary to not be the expert in the law trying to justify which of our neighbors we are to love. we are all called to be one and are all called to be brought to complete unity.

I know for me, answering Jesus' prayer will be in the form of racial reconciliation. Looking back at my experiences over the last 5 years it's not hard to see how God has been cultivating me to embark in full time ministry that values racial reconciliation.

I am going on staff with a ministry in southeast raleigh called Neighbor to Neighbor at the end of the month, it's an amazing and exciting opportunity for me..

and I'm new to the blogging world, I started a blog a few months ago and finally started to use it about a month ago, pretty exciting i guess. it's been a good way to keep in touch with friends